SummaryStarting Monday, 6/29, OWWL cardholders are able to place up to seven (7) holds. Please note that the limit of seven holds is a system-wide limit that includes active holds, suspended holds, and holds available for pickup. This measure is temporary as libraries begin to reopen and will be assessed once we are able to increase capacity.
Because there is temporary suspension on item delivery between OWWL libraries, holds may be placed only on titles owned by the pickup library you select when placing your holds.
Please make sure to provide a phone number when placing your hold. Automated hold availability notification emails and text messages (SMS) are currently not being sent. Libraries may contact you by phone or email to schedule a time to pick up your items.
Frequently Asked QuestionsHow do I make sure I'm only searching the catalog for titles owned by a particular library?
You may want to limit your search to only a particular library's collection. Because there is temporary suspension on item delivery between OWWL libraries, holds may be placed only on titles owned by the pickup library you select when placing your holds.
To search only a particular library's collection, select the library from the "Search Library" drop-down menu. You may select a specific library to which to limit your search in both the Basic Search and the Advanced Search.
Tip: If you are logged in to your account, your search will default to your "Home Library" (usually the library where you got your library card) if you have never changed your preferences.
How do I place a hold?
The Place Hold option appears next to a title entry in a search results list or a title details page.
- Search to find the title you want. You will only be able to place a hold on a title if the library you intend to pick up from owns a copy of that title.
- Click "Place Hold" from the results list, or, click the title to open the details page and then click "Place Hold."
- If you are not already logged in, enter your Library Card Number or Username and password.
- In the Place Hold form, first select a pickup location. You will only be able to place a hold on a title if the library you select owns a copy of that title. After you have selected a pickup location, make sure to include a phone number if you do not normally do so by default, then click "Submit" at the bottom.
- If the hold was successfully a placed, a confirmation message will display; click "Continue" to return to the search results list or item details page
- If the hold was not successfully placed, a message will display stating the reason why. If you encounter the error below, you have likely attempted to place a hold for pickup at a library that does not own a copy of the title:
Am I able to place holds on other libraries' items?
Yes, you are still able to place holds on other libraries' items if you would like to pick those items up from the owning library. Keep in mind that you will only be able to place a hold if the pickup library you select owns a copy of the title you are placing on hold. If you try to place a hold on a title that is not owned by the pickup library you select, you will encounter the error above.
What will happen to the holds I had placed earlier this year?
Holds that were placed on or prior to 3/14 (the date on which holds were temporarily suspended) will remain on your account as long as they have not expired.
Please note that if you had previously placed a hold on a title that your pickup library does not own a copy of, you will remain in the hold queue, but your hold will not be fulfilled while these temporary measures are in place.
What happens if I had more than seven holds on my account before these temporary measures were put in place?
None of your holds placed prior to the implementation of these temporary measures will be deleted. However, you will not be able to place additional holds.
If you previously used your hold list as a wishlist and have a large number of suspended holds, you may want to consider using the My Lists feature instead.